Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Rescue Kitties - Meet Skitszie Kitty

The third, and hopefully final addition to our family is this beautiful fluffy black and white Orca (generally called Tuxedo cats).

If you look closely at the picture, you will see this lovely lady has 6 toes on her front paws. This type of cat is called a Polydactyl cat. Wikepidia states "Normal cats have five toes on each front paw and four toes on each hind paw. Polydactyl cats may have as many as seven digits on front and/or hind paws, and various combinations of anywhere from four to seven are common, although each of the front and rear paws are typically the same. Polydactyly is most commonly found on the front paws only, with polydactyly of all four paws being less common. It is rare for a cat to have polydactyl hind paws only."

This little baby was only 6 months old when I found her crying pitifully outside my doorstep. The poor little thing was obviously lost and terrified. I coaxed her into the house and started a door-to-door campaign to find her owner. After that failed, I checked to see if she had any tattoos, which she did, so I called the local veterinarian to see if he could track it down. The tracking was successful, she had been spayed and tattooed in Merritt (which is approximately 150 miles away from where I live.)

Obviously, she didn't walk all that way to find my doorstep, as she was in very good condition when I found her. Her fur from her surgery was starting to grow back, but her incision was still visible, which approximately matched the surgery date the vet had given me. I left my phone number for them to contact me if they found the kitty's owner, but I never received a call. So, she moved in with me...

Now I had to figure out what to call her! Mittens seemed rather tame, and Thumbelina was too long. Since she was very skittish even after getting used to the house and her new roommate Picasso, I settled on Skitszie Kitty.

Don't let that sweet little face fool you - nothing is safe from this fuzzy pint sized tyrant! I recently 'integrated' her into my boyfriend's menagerie, and she regularly puts the run on her feline brothers, often standing nose to nose with my boyfriend's two dogs, who tower over her, without turning a whisker.

It's quite funny watching the feeding process in the mornings. Each counter has a cat on it, with 3 black and white cats twining around our legs and the dogs taking up their stations in the kitchen door. After the meal, everyone heads outside for their morning run, all 3 black and white Rescue Kitties following one after the other through the grass.

No comments: