Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Rescue Kitties - Meet Mooch


Hello, my name is Mooch, and I'm a Rescue Kitty. I didn't always look this handsome and well fed. I used to live outside, with no people of my own, and it was a very hard, lonely life.

Then, one day, I found a house with an open window in a basement suite, where a family had cats, and sneaked in to have some food. I was pretty hungry, so I ate almost the whole bowl before I sneaked back out again.

I came back a few more times to share my new found neighbour's bounty, but ran away whenever I saw their people. The next time I returned, there was a bowl of food sitting on the steps in front of the window. Each time I showed up, it was full and waiting for me. I couldn't believe my good luck.

Then one day, the food bowl was gone from the steps. Someone had moved it inside the house, on the window ledge above the big metal water bowl with taps. The people were inside, but the bowl was right in front of the open window, so I took a chance.
The people didn't come close to me while I was eating, but they did peek at me a couple of times.

After that, the food dish moved further inside, each time I came back, but the people were nice and didn't bother me. Soon, the people moved the dish to the floor and let me come into the house to eat.

It was comfortable and warm in the house, and after a while, I started taking naps in front of the door. The people always let me out in the morning, after giving me some wonderful treats, and they left the window open for me to come and go as I pleased.

One day, the lady put me in a cage and took me to a place that smelled just awful and left me there. There were other animals in cages crying to be let out. A soft spoken lady took me out of the cage and cleaned me, put drops in my ears and pricked me with a sharp pointy thing. After that I don't remember anything.

When I woke up I was pretty woozy and sore. The lady who left me there came back and took me home with her. She gave me treats, and fresh water and let me curl up on the rug. She let me go outside again a few days later, after I was feeling better and left the window open for me.

I was starting to get very comfortable at this house. The people were good to me, even if the lady did drop me off at that horrible place. They kept putting their hands on me, and I was actually beginning to like it. I kept making these funny, squeaky noises that I had never heard before, but I couldn't help it!

One afternoon, I came in through the window, and saw lots of boxes all over the floor and counters. A whole bunch of people were carrying them out the door and loading them into a van, so I hi-tailed it out of there real quick. When I finally came back, everything was quiet and the house was empty except for my food dish. I felt all alone, but I wasn't scared - I had been alone for a long time before finding this house. Then a car pulled up to the house, and the lady got out. She called me and called me until I showed up. Then she put me in that box again, and we left.

We drove for a long time, and when she finally let me out of the box, I saw I was in a different house, with other cats and a couple of big, loud dogs. They pretty much ignored me, and the other cats seemed fairly friendly, only one of them was a bit touchy and hissed at me. The man who lived there was pretty nice too, and he didn't kick me off the bed when the lady put me on it. It was a pretty comfy bed, I gotta say!

The next morning, the man called us all into the kitchen and gave us treats and milk and filled the food dish. He opened the door and let everybody out, but he left the door open so we could come back in if we wanted. It didn't take long before I started thinking of this place as home. The people who brought me here always stayed over a few nights a week, so I didn't feel lonely, and the man was very friendly and loving. I like him a lot!

Now I'm fat and sassy, and love my new home. I'm so glad my people let me come in that long ago day for food, and I thank them every night when I curl up beside them on the bed and make my squeaky sounds! (They really like that!)

No comments: